This is the Oakland Local archive. To find more stories like this, you can search our main site.

Oakland Local is a news non-profit that relies on community funding. Please donate.

Questions? Send them to editor@oaklandlocal.com.

Remembering Oscar Grant: A virtual alter

1 reply [Last post]

Kwan Booth created Thu, 31 Dec at 10:44am, updated Fri, 1 Jan at 3:49pm

Oscar Grant's death was without a doubt one of the most devastating events of 2009. Community members of all backgrounds mourned the loss of this young father while searching for ways to move forward and to remember the lives lost.

In several cultures when a loved one dies an alter is constructed in their memory.  This alter is filled with messages from loved ones, gifts and memorials that serve as a tribute and also help to relieve the pain of those left behind.

This space is our virtual alter for Oscar Grant.  Feel free to leave any memories, best wishes, and thoughts here.  Please remember that this page is a tribute to the loss of life and not a political open forum.  All comments will be screened prior to posting.

Links, images and video can be enabled with basic HTML code.  If you would like help with your post please email Kwan@oaklandlocal.com or editor@oaklandlocal.com.

This entry is part of our Oscar Grant Memorial Tribute. See the full series here.

Mon, 2010-01-04 09:57

My name is Randy this tragedy has left an impact on our community and our families even being one year since his murder. I consider Oscar as my younger brother. I along with my other brother's watched him grow up from when he was just a baby old enough to walk over to our house and knock on the door asking if we could come out to play. The funny thing is he never asked or did he knock. As kids we knew when it was time to go out and play. Oscar would just stand at our screen door looking in waiting for us to notice even if we were just sitting there watching cartoons he'd be there standing quietly. I can share a lot of memories from when we were young and how we grew up. I am a little older than Osc so it was only natural that we shared so much respect for each other. He looked up to me and I looked after him. We stayed close as we both drifted off into different social circles still within the same neighborhood the only thing seperating the two groups was the age gap. Nevertheless, I consider the two of us being the bridge bringing the younger generation and a slightly older one together. We were family, Oscar and I and people took notice accepted, and respected it. Relationships like this created the strength in our community we grew up in which is why I am proud of where we were raised. 

I've since moved to the city and when I got the news I was with my family, my wife, daughter, and son.  We were at the new science museum here in Golden Gate park. It was just an hour into the museum when my brother called me saying "Did you see the news?" I said "No" his tone was something I am very familiar with especially growing up in the East Bay. So I knew something happened. In his exact words he said "They killed him" I asked "Who" and from there my heart hit the ground.

We couldn't get away from what just happened, each day with all the news coverage I watched my little brother  get murdered at the hands of a police officer.

There is anger, outrage and sorrow and forever will be in our communities unless there is justice. The police officer who took Oscar's life wasn't an outstanding officer, he deserved no award,he isn't a hero, anyone who takes a life is simply a murderer.

To me Oscar's death bring's to light what has been going on in our communities and even in death Oscar is our voice.  My love and prayer's go out to his wife and his daughter, his sister and mother, the Grant family, and the Johnson family.

PEACE.

R.S.